1. A transformer is used to change a 120 V, 3 A current to 2500 V.
a. What kind of transformer is this?
b. What is the ratio of secondary turns to primary turns?
c. What current would be developed in the secondary coil?
2. A step-up transformer has 100 turns on the primary coil and 500 turns on the secondary coil. If this transformer is to produce an output of 4300 V with a 12 mA current, what input current and voltage are needed?
3. The average emf induced in the secondary coil is 0.12 when the current in the primary coil changes from 3.4 to 1.6 A in 0.14 s. What is the mutual inductance of the coils?
4. A circular coil with 233 turns and a diameter of 23.5 cm rotates about a vertical axis at 1250 rpm. The coil is situated in a magnetic field having a horizontal component of 3.80x10-5 T, and a vertical component of 2.85 x10-5 T. What is the maximum EMF produced in the coil?
5. The current in an air-core solenoid is reduced from 3.99 A to zero over 5.9s. The solenoid has 2000 turns per meter and a cross-sectional area of 0.131 m2. Surrounding the solenoid near the center of its length is a second coil of 50 turns.
a. What is the magnitude of the induced emf in the second coil?
b. If the resistance of the second coil is 0.00409 ohm what is the induced current?
6. A 200-turn air-core solenoid with a cross-sectional area of 100 cm2 has a resistance of 5.0 ohms. The ends of the wire are joined together to close the circuit. A 1.1 T magnetic field is directed through the coil perpendicular to its cross-sectional area. Over a period of 0.1s, the field is reversed. What average current flows through the coil during that period?